Thursday, January 24, 2008

Draft one: The Expressive

Rights of Disabled

I have worked with disabled people for about a year now, so I feel I have a good view on the lives of disabled people living in group homes. One thing that really bothers me is how some people don’t know how to treat and or act around disabled people. Disabled people have rights just like you and I. They have the right to express their thoughts and opinions just like everyone us. They may have different ways of doing so depending on what their disability is.
One right in particular I would like to focus on is their right to grow and develop as they should. A newer procedure that is being used on a few disabled children is the stopping of the growth hormone. Some families are choosing to keep their children small, so it is easier to care for them. Also, for girls, some families choose to stop their periods so they will never go through menstruation. From working in a situation where I cared for disabled people, I can see how families would think it would be easier to care for their children. It would defiantly be easier transferring them from wheelchair to other places. If you really think about what is happening to these children, however; one should see that it is unethical to do so. By stopping their growth, these children are having a right taken away from them that they do not even know they have.
I think that the rights of disabled people are constantly being challenged, because sometimes they cannot stand up for themselves. Disabled people are often taken advantage of and people do not even realize it. A lot of times their families put them into a group home because they are not able to take care of them. In these group homes, disabled people are often forced to do things they do not want to such as take part in group activities or work in a sheltered workshop. I think that all people should be able to have the choice in what they want to do unless they abuse the privilege.

1 comment:

Phil B said...

Stacy,

Hot button topic here. I like it. It seems to me that there are many people who still view the disabled as second-class citizens. Your research should turn up plenty of information. Remember to read with a critical eye, though, to ensure that the information you choose to use is factual rather than emotional.

P